Description:- What is mental health? Describe components, criteria, indicators and characteristics of mental health.
It is a state of balance between the individual and the surrounding world, a state of harmony between oneself and others ,co-existence between the realities of the self and that of other people and the environment.
Definitions:- Karl Menninger defines mental health as an adjustment of human beings to the world and to each other with a maximum of effectiveness and happiness.
1. The Ability to accept self:- A mentally healthy individual feels comfortable about himself.
2. The capacity to feel right towards others:-An individual who enjoys good mental health is able to be sincerely interested in others welfare.
3. The ability to fulfill life task:- The third important component of mental health is bestows on an individuals the ability to meet the demand of life.
a. Adequate contact with reality
b. Control o9f thought and imagination
c. Efficiency in work and play
d. Social acceptance
e. Positively self concept
f. A healthy emotional life
1. A positive attitude towards self
2. Growth, deve4lopment and the ability for self actualization
5. Perception of reality
6. Environmental mastery
a. He has an ability to make an adjustment
b. He has a sense of personal wealth
c. He solves his problems largely by his own efforts
d. He has a sense of responsibility
e. He can give and accept love
f. He lives in world of reality rather than fantasy
g. He shows emotional maturity in his behavior
h. He has developed a philosophy of life that gives meaning and purpose to his daily activities
i. He has a variety of interest and generally lives a well balanced life of work, rest and recreation